Welcome #APLit17!

Dear Future AP Lit Students,

If you’re reading this letter it’s most likely because you’ve signed up for a rigorous, challenging, intellectually transformative class – Advanced Placement English Literature and Composition, which is a long, fanciful name for a course that requires a strong, get-your-hands-dirty work ethic. As I’m sure you already know, the work-load of AP Literature will challenge you, sure, but what I think is more important to tell you is the work you do will be rewarding.

If you have an eager and curious mind, and I know you do or you wouldn’t be here reading this, this course will help you to develop some heavy-duty literary skills. And by skills, I mean a systematic, utilitarian way of reading deeply and analytically, the ability to produce clear, elegant, and creative written responses to literature, and a cultural awareness of some of the greatest and most famous Literature-with-a-capital-L ever written. You will have the opportunity to grow intellectually and emotionally, and you will probably be able to answer a few Jeopardy questions along the way, too. It goes without saying that I am beyond excited to be teaching this course next year.

But before we get too rapt with excitement and possibility, let’s start with The College Board’s vision of AP Lit, yes? Here is an excerpt from the course description. You will, of course, get more specific and tailored information on your syllabus in the fall.

Introduction:

An AP English Literature and Composition course engages students in the careful reading and critical analysis of imaginative literature. Through the close reading of selected texts, students deepen their understanding of the ways writers use language to provide both meaning and pleasure for their readers. As they read, students consider a work’s structure, style and themes, as well as such smaller-scale elements as the use of figurative language, imagery, symbolism and tone.

Goals:

The course includes intensive study of representative works from various genres and periods, concentrating on works of recognized literary merit…The pieces chosen invite and reward rereading and do not, like ephemeral works in such popular genres as detective or romance fiction, yield all (or nearly all) of their pleasures of thought and feeling the first time through. The AP English Literature and Composition Development Committee agrees with Henry David Thoreau that it is wisest to read the best books first; the committee also believes that such reading should be accompanied by thoughtful discussion and writing about those books in the company of one’s fellow students

In other words, you will do all of the wonderful things you’re imagining doing with literature, and I will be your guide. But what you need to know now is that I am not the meaning-maker nor am I the person who holds all the cards. You will not use pre-thought thoughts as discussion points nor will you use The Internet as a substitute for study. I am not interested in cool-offs or intellectual chess. As I mentioned to some of you already, I’m another rider on the road. We will be amazed and inspired, enthused and even confused by great literature, and we’ll be all that together. My job is to make you better, stronger, and even more capable students than you already are.

With that said, you have some summer reading and homework. Take it seriously and show me what you’re working with. I can’t wait to see what and how you think.

Happy reading & Go get your hands dirty,

Mrs. Hilliard

Published by

Mrs. Hilliard

AP Literature & STEM Academy Teacher at Spring Mills High School | Believer in the small, beautiful thing | WVCTE http://www.wvcte.com | Contributing writer at https://movingwriters.org